Sunday 23 September 2012

Exploring the various roles of an IB teacher

Are you exploring yourself  in the various role profiles of an IB teacher?

The last two weeks had been spent in understanding and setting into the culture of OIS. By now I get the feel that an IB teacher is actually an all rounder who can fit into various roles as the situation demands. In every school the roles that I had been given in the past helped me to discover a different ME, learn a whole lot of new things and realize my potentials. Hence I always look forward to a new role with the hope of shedding light on a different potential of mine. This post of mine is dedicated to all the IB teachers all around the world who deliver different roles with dedication and learn from each of them. Just a reflection that all the roles empower us with a new kind of wisdom, preparing us to face challenging situations.

In my present school I have to supervise two CAS programmes , one being that of service and the other action. I am fortunate to get both the activities aligned with my passion. The CAS Service project that I am supervising gave me the opportunity to visit with my student team to a Centre in Kolkata where I came across several little children who came from broken families, especially where the father was no more. Some of them had seen brutal deaths and were dealing with trauma. But an interaction with them revealed so many talented children who knew not only to communicate in English but also were very good instrument players. How smoothly they played their violin and guitar in tune to our OIS students. I really came out feeling so different in a reflective mood. There was so much to learn from these children , the most important being how to make the best use of your available resources and coming out as a winner. Even the way our OIS students taught them simple lessons of coordination and team spirit from music making was worth admiring. I guess my learning from the present generation just changes its form everyday.

Supervising the Action part was equally entertaining and informative. My team is the MUSIC MAKERS. Though I have never got any formal training on music but I am very passionate about singing. However this interaction with the team opened up different channels of knowledge gaining. Since I have students from Serbia, Poland, Bangladesh and India in the team, MUSIC will play a big role in tying us all together and I am looking forward to the kind of piece that is going to come out of it. But listening to some foot tapping music which had lyrics both in Polish and Serbian was mind blowing.Moreover I admired the ease and passion with which they played violin, guitar and tabla.

Well again I did try to mingle a little bit of technology into both. Students have been taught how to make websites in Google Sites and showcase their work. They are really excited. They are loving the editing by many platforms on it and to put up something on their own without a WEB DEVELOPER. also the privacy settings of Google Sites has given a new dimension. So looking forward to another side of exploration....

No comments:

Post a Comment