Thursday 26 July 2012

Making ebooks with ipads

An amazing way to use technology to enhance your classroom engagement and contribution


Well now I have not yet bought any apple product , but that has not stopped me from venturing out the possibilities that they have to offer. In this academic term, the grade 6 students in our school are studying through their ipads and books have been done away with. So I needed to know how to make ebooks with ipads.
I honestly took an ipad from a student for an hour to experiment what I can do with it. So the student had already got this app Book Creator for iPad. So I just had to give it few minutes. It was really easy. I took pics and info from the web and constructed my own ebook of 3 to 4 pages and mailed it to myself. But then wait I have a laptop and an Android phone, and this file was not opening in both. 

Finally after some googling got a solution for it. 


In the Chrome web store I got an app called MagicScroll which I just added to Chrome. I downloaded the .epub file of the book that I had mailed to myself. In MagicScroll I just had to add the book from my hard drive to the library and I could read it.


There was my ebook on nuclear reactors. 

Next was to solve the problem for my android phone. So I followed the following steps

  1. Uploaded the new book.epub file to my wikispace page. 
  2. Downloaded the book from the wiki on my android phone
  3. Got the epub reader app from the Android store
  4. Openned the epub reader and imported the book from the option Import from SD. The book was in the download folder.
  5. Read the book in my android phone too.


Well amalgamation of laptop, iPads and Android....thats how I would put it.


No comments:

Post a Comment