Thursday 8 December 2011

Should the classroom be just limited to the four walls? What do you think.......?

As I sit in my physics room, waiting for the MYP personal project class to begin.....a strange feeling seems to grasp me. Am I alone? Or am I connected to the whole world? In the last few days I am seeing the advancement of technology in gaining knowledge from a very closer perspective...My laptop and internet have just given me some wings with which I am actually flying at a speed almost that of light and connecting with so many people.

Recently joined LinkedIn, and actively visiting this website has connected me to so many relevant people all around the world. IB teachers, Coordinators, Head of Schools, IB professionals............so many forums..........which has made information ..all of that or maybe even more than what I thought I needed..... all available to me at a single click. I would have taken years to google all of that.

So if technology can do wonders in  the way I am gaining information and enhancing my knowledge bank why can't it do for student?. Why does it have to be the way generations before us have done it? Why can't we as teachers try to remove the four walls and expand the interactive zone to the entire world.? Why can't we show the students that computer is just not just a device to play games but to do lots more? Maybe to shape the person who they are going to become....

Collaborative learning ... should have a permanent place in today's education system. I am lucky to be a part of the IB Community where I can get the platform to use my creative and analytical skills to perhaps sharpen those of my students......

So that leaves me back to my knowledge issue ......should I, as a facilitator be focused on the content and curriculum and past papers which would limit my interaction with students limited to a few textbooks? Or should I open  my students to the world so that they can understand at the end of the day along with some knowledge of physics....how important it is to live with others in one world and what is the right way of doing that....

As I move towards my MYP personal projects students I know another gate is going to open bringing in a whole new fresh bundle of thoughts and ideas.............








No comments:

Post a Comment