Monday 13 February 2012

Reflection of SAIBSA 2012

How big is the gap between knowing and being a 21st Century educator?

As I shared in my previous blogs, my journey as an IB educator is taking me through lot of turns where I am fortunately learning a lot and thanks to all the twitter contributors from whom I have been immensely gained a lot. They might have no idea how they have acted as as mentors for a teacher, far of, in one of the cities in India.

This was my second IB DP SAIBSA Job alike Session that I attended along with a Category 2 IB worshop. 340 DP teachers , from different parts of the country all at one place, beautifully and most elegantly hosted by Podar International School, Mumbai.

An amazing introductory Plenary Session by Gillian Ashworth. It was all about Inquiry Based Learning in IB DP. The presentation actually gave me an insight on what actually everyone meant by specifying a 21st Century educator.

After the presentation I seemed to be comforted with the thought that what I had started doing was a first step towards being a 21st Century educator.

But then should it be just "I" or "We"?

This was followed by a whole day session in subject specific room, where we had discussions pertaining to the subject only where the focus was "I do this " and " I  do that", without any directional move towards what our today's students would want "Us to do". I guess we all sitting in the room were sailing in the same boat not having the slightest idea about the changes in the world and methods of teaching.

A very important question kept on sweeping across my mind was " What impact did globalization have on Education in India?". The terms which seemed very common to me were totally unfamiliar to others. Forget about Twitter,Scoop.It., Paper.Li, Diigo, Edmodo, Blogs and Wikis, and anything else that I was using, my co teachers had no idea of a google doc even. 

So how far are we from the reality of what Gillian said in the morning of being a 21st Century Educator?

With my inputs in the sessions about few "technology " tips that I gathered over the past few months, the group seemed to be interested. They were enthralled by me sharing so many resources through DROP BOX and not flash drive. After the session I received lot of thank mails and this urged me to provide them with a collaborative platform. I immediately started a google doc with some problems posted by teachers to me.

 The need of the hour for us educators is  to connect with the vast world of International School educators, especially at twitter and other Social Networking sites. Learn from each other, implement them in our daily teaching and share our practices on a regular basis.







No comments:

Post a Comment